Tomek - Drum/Backline Technician
What does your usual working day look like? Do you play as a drummer in bands yourself?
Tomek: There is no such thing as a usual day for me. In the warehouse, my tasks include replying to emails and riders, checking drums after concerts, repairing broken equipment, preparing kits for upcoming gigs, and managing vans. At a concert as a drum/backline technician, the routine is: unload the van, set up the backline, tune the drums, assist the band when they arrive, run the soundcheck, grab food, run the concert, pack up, and reload. Aside from tech work, I have been playing the drums for around 8 years and currently play in 2 bands in Dublin, Ireland.
Tomek: There is no such thing as a usual day for me. In the warehouse, my tasks include replying to emails and riders, checking drums after concerts, repairing broken equipment, preparing kits for upcoming gigs, and managing vans. At a concert as a drum/backline technician, the routine is: unload the van, set up the backline, tune the drums, assist the band when they arrive, run the soundcheck, grab food, run the concert, pack up, and reload. Aside from tech work, I have been playing the drums for around 8 years and currently play in 2 bands in Dublin, Ireland.
Are you also on tour with bands as drum tech? What fascinates you so much about drums?
Tomek: Currently, I’m not on any tours. I have done a few small tours before, but mostly I work on individual concerts with different bands through a backline rental company. I find that drums are one of the few instruments that can be completely personalized by how they are set up and tuned. There are thousands of possibilities if you are creative. The physics of drum tuning and how it changes based on so many factors is fascinating. For example, the sound changes depending on the choice of drumheads, the size of the drum, the bearing edges, and the room acoustics.
Is there a drum brand that you particularly appreciate? Do you have a special tip for drummers who take care of their equipment themselves?
Tomek: Over the past 5 years as a tech, I came to the conclusion that any drums can sound great as long as you put the right heads on them. Personally, I’m not fussy about the gear as long as it works. When working on gigs, I highly appreciate DW Hardware because it is absolutely bulletproof and won’t fail during a concert. In terms of drums, I love the versatility and sound of the Yamaha 9000. One tip I can give is that drummers very often forget to oil the tension rods. I suggest putting a little bit of vaseline on them when they are dry. If anyone has questions, feel free to contact me through Instagram or email - I’m more than happy to help.
Release date: 9th of August, 2026
Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/tomekthetech/
Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/tomekthetech/



Comments
Post a Comment