Nazar Holikov - Guitar Maker

 

How did you get into guitar making?
Nazar: It actually happened by chance. My original profession had nothing to do with woodworking. It all started with music - spent many years playing bass in bands across various genres, from death metal to pop. Over time, I began repairing and optimizing my own instruments and those of my friends. Eventually, I wanted to know if I could build a complete guitar from scratch. So, I just tried it. Once the first guitar was finished, it became clear to me very quickly: this is exactly what I want to do. The entire process - from the initial idea and selecting the materials to the moment the instrument is played for the first time - completely hooked me. Today, I focus entirely on professional repairs and custom guitar and bass building.

Do you build to order, and how does the process work?
Nazar: Currently, I build instruments exclusively to order, though I am already planning to launch my own production line. With a custom instrument, it is incredibly important to me to understand the musician first. What sound are they looking for? How should it feel in their hands? What do they expect from their guitar on stage or in the studio? A custom guitar shouldn’t feel like just any instrument; it should feel like an extension of the musician. That’s why we discuss every guitar in great detail during the planning phase. Together, we select the types of wood, body shape, neck construction, pickups, bridge, tuners, and the finish.

What is the most important part of building a guitar?
Nazar: For me, a truly great guitar starts with its construction, not the pickup. The best pickup in the world won’t save poor geometry or sloppy craftsmanship. That’s why perfect geometry, ultimate precision, and quality woods come first. Pickups shouldn’t try to compensate for a badly built instrument. Instead, they should support and bring out their natural character.

Release date: 13th of September, 2026
Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/giss.guitars/

Comments

Popular Posts